onsdag 29. august 2012

Self portrait study

I hope I won't return to this bad habit


Self-Portrait study

Claude Monet or Vincent van Gogh?


Now here's a little problem; We were supposed to choose one artist whose self-portrait we would research, but I can't decide whether to go for that of Monet or van Gogh....

Monet

Monet's painting is very realistic, and his strokes seem very precise- he has a certain attention to detail, and his paintings seem far more peaceful than those of van Gogh. However, his painting also seems like it is "fraying" somewhat on the bottom, where he has not filled out the painting completely.

van Gogh

As opposed to Monet, van Gogh's paintings are very energetic; his strokes seem to move as you look at them, and he uses a contrast in his portrait - the orange of his face and beard against the large amounts of turquoise and teal. Due to all the movement in his painting, he seems to have less detail, and he can more easily get away with minor errors.

In the end, I think I'll go for Monet. Though van Gogh's painting looks good in its own way, I find that I prefer Monet's style.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar